guix-devel

Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 09:27:36 +0100

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:07 AM Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
> Specifically about armhf, if anybody wants to use it with Guix, I hope
> they will speak up.

I am interested, I have tried, and failed to get anything (apart from guix
on foreign armbian). But I am more interested in guixsd though.

I even attempted building the pinebook pro image without success.

> I think we should monitor the volume of substitute requests per platform
> and see how big the demand for armhf Guix really is.

With the current situation, I'm not sure this would really be representative
of the armhf or arm64 demand.

> Although there is a huge amount of armhf hardware deployed, Guix seems a
> very poor fit for it.

In its current state.

> There is almost no armhf hardware that is suitable
> for a build-from-source distro in terms of performance, thermal design
> and suitable storage (SD cards will not last for unless you pay a huge
> amount for the absolute highest quality). Binary distros like Trisquel
> are a much better option for armhf.

The cross buildability *should* be kind of a solution for this.

> All that is not a reason to not support armhf, but if nobody is using
> it, then we should officially deprecate it, and not leave it in this
> in-between state.

I'm not using it because I can't make it work.

--
Vincent Legoll