guix-devel

Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Staging branch [substitute availability armhf-linux]
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:54:06 +0100

Hello Vincent,

> I even attempted building the pinebook pro image without success.

It seems that Caliph Nomble succeeded to build a Pinebook Pro image and
booted it, without graphics, after a few fixes:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45584.

You may want to try again :).

>> There is almost no armhf hardware that is suitable
>> for a build-from-source distro in terms of performance, thermal design
>> and suitable storage (SD cards will not last for unless you pay a huge
>> amount for the absolute highest quality). Binary distros like Trisquel
>> are a much better option for armhf.
>
> The cross buildability *should* be kind of a solution for this.

Yes we could always decide to stop supporting native ARMv7 substitutes
and only focus on the cross-building to provide ready to use image for
this architecture.

>> All that is not a reason to not support armhf, but if nobody is using
>> it, then we should officially deprecate it, and not leave it in this
>> in-between state.
>
> I'm not using it because I can't make it work.

Don't hesitate to report the issues you encountered!

Thanks,

Mathieu