guix-devel

An idea regarding Guix Profiles

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: An idea regarding Guix Profiles
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 09:11:13 +0100

Hello Raghav,

I had a similar idea a little more than a year ago:<
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00358.html>
See also <
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-01/msg00083.html>
for the discussion it spawned.

While the default profile would stay active at all times, storing
profiles in a single location would make it much easier to activate
them at a whim -- in particular also to do so from a Guix command.
However, this change would obviously not be compatible to how Guix
functioned before and thus the proposal needs to be written with care
to at least be future-proof.  The discussion has stalled since,
probably because I had not put enough thought into the initial idea.

I am planning to revive this idea in a somewhat different form later
this year, but I still need time to formalize my thoughts.

Regards,
Leo