guix-devel

Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles

From: Leo Prikler
Subject: Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:17:58 +0100

Hello Raghav,

looking at the way you phrased this in IRC, I just found out, that I
misunderstood your mail.  Basically, what you need to do to achieve
something like that with Guix currently, would be to keep two (or more)
config.scms and reconfigure each one after guix pull in a fixed order.
Then you have:

O + (K-1)*N + 1: first use case, latest generation
O + (K-1)*N + 2: second use case, latest generation
O + K*N: Nth use case, latest generation

with a buffer of K generations.  I'm not quite sure how you could
better integrate this into GRUB -- perhaps there is an option to set a
custom label?  Then you'd have
- GNU Guix (server config) #X
- GNU Guix (desktop config) #Y
- GNU Guix (other config config) #Z
where #X, #Y and #Z are generation labels.

Regards,
Leo