guix-devel

Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 08:54:52 +0100

Hi RG,

> At user-level, user can choose which profile to work on. Like that it
> would be cool to select which profile to boot.

This already possible in some form: when booting, I can (optionally) select
an older system generation to boot (at least in GRUB).  The question is, I
guess, would it be feasible to allow defining multiple operating systems at
once in
the configuration file?  The GRUB screen could then look something like this:

  Welcome to GRUB!
  * OS Group A (date + name)
    + Primary OS #A   (kernel + name)
    + Secondary OS #B (kernel + name)
    + Secondary OS #C  (kernel + name)
    + ...
  * Old operating systems
    + Old OS Group A (date + name)
      + Old Primary OS #A ....
    + Old OS Group A (date + name)
      + Old Primary OS #A ...
  You can edit [blabla] ... Press [...] to [blabla] ...

And the configuration file could look something like this:

  (operating-system-group
    (name  "something")
    (primary (operating-system ...))
    (secondary (operating-system ...) (operating-system ...) ...))

The primary OS is used for determining on which partition to
install the bootloader and which bootloader to install.
(It doesn't make sense to install multiple bootloaders after all).

Thoughts?
Maxime
--
Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
PGP Key: C1F3 3EE2 0C52 8FDB 7DD7  011F 49E3 EE22 1917 25EE