guix-devel

Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: An idea regarding Guix Profiles
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 16:18:12 -0500

Hello Guix!

I just had this crazy idea.

Currently, we can create multiple profiles at user-level. What if we could bring the 'guix profiles' concept to system-level?

At user-level, user can choose which profile to work on. Like that it would be cool to select which profile to boot.

Thoughts?

For clarification, I meant these multiple system-profiles to be different from generations.

Currently, there can be only one system-profile, under which there can be many generations. In my idea, each multiple system-profile, will have their own generations.

For Example,

```
System 1 (Desktop installation for generic/casual use):
        Generation 1
        Generation 2

System 2 (Minimal installation for development use):
        Generation 1
        Generation 2

System 3 (Base installation for home-server use):
        Generation 1
        Generation 2
```

If a user wants to casually watch multimedia or browse the web or edit some documents, the user can choose the system-profile 'System 1'. There will be desktop-environment and system-services for generic/casual use.

If a user wants to do development work, the user can choose the system-profile 'System 2'. There will be minimal window-managers and system-services for development use.

If a user is going to travel and want to run the machine as home-server, so that it can be accessed/used remotely, the user can choose the system-profile 'System 3'. There will be base packages and specific system-services like SSH, NFS etc.

Another Example,

```
System 1 (GNU/Linux-Libre):
        Generation 1