guix-devel

Re: Emacs next variants

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Emacs next variants
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:36:41 +0400

On 2023-03-10 19:14, Simon Tournier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 17:59, John Kehayias
> <john.kehayias@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
>> During this discussion some changes were made to this inheritance structure
>> in
>>
>> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=b4c64ddce44bb31332784c3f8e037bd565194604>
>>
>> and
>>
>> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=070c335a91d5c245f0360e12c794e9109f9faaf1>
>
> Thanks for pointing that.  From my understanding, it does not change
> what Cayetanos is raising: emacs-next-tree-sitter is built using
> '--with-pgtk'.  In fact, the package emacs-next-tree-sitter is built
> using the master branch (Emacs 30 unbranched yet) with tree-sitter
> *and* pgtk support.

Hi everyone!

Also, CCed Liliana.

Will share my motivation behind this desicion below:

After a separation of emacs-next-tree-sitter
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=420cf2bf2a

I heard a few complains from wayland users that now they have to choose
between pgtk emacs or tree-sitter emacs (which runs only under xwayland
and is very blurry) and because I didn't faced any issues with pgtk on
X, I think it's more inclusive to inherit tree-sitter from pgtk.

The other option is to have two tree-sitter versions, but I suspect this
way we will get a combinatorical explosion soon :)

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin