guix-devel

Re: Emacs next variants

From: indieterminacy
Subject: Re: Emacs next variants
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:46:44 +0100

On 12-03-2023 08:46, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
Am Sonntag, dem 12.03.2023 um 09:18 +0400 schrieb Andrew Tropin:
> As for tree-sitter-with/without-gtk, I have no opinion here.  We
> could try exporting package rewriters so that everyone can have
> their cup of tea, but maintaining one's own Emacs on the
> user/channel level ought not to be too difficult either.

I guess inheriting pgtk from tree-sitter looks most logical here: no
potential problems for X users, tree-sitter for wayland users.
Updated the inheritance hierarchy.
For the future, I think we should be careful not to be too close to the
master branch.  emacs-next has thus far historically been a package to
try out things for the next release, not the one after that.  The
inclusion of a package variant with tree-sitter necessitated a change,
but for packages that don't need it we should go back to tailing pre-
releases as soon as reasonable.

Out of curiosity, where do such prescriptions concerning one tool or a set of tools get documented?

Or is it currently a situation whereby enough people with such acculumated knowledge and experience as in the vicinity when somebody wants to make relevant changes?

Thanks,

--
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels