guix-devel

Re: Emacs next variants

From: Andrew Tropin
Subject: Re: Emacs next variants
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 09:18:41 +0400

On 2023-03-10 20:36, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

>> > As for the NEWS-29 file:
>> >
>> > "Running this configuration on X is known to have problems, such as
>> > undesirable frame positioning and various issues with keyboard
>> > input of sequences such as 'C-;' and 'C-S-u'."
>> >
>> > C.
>>
>> I haven't used X for a while, but if it's still the case for 30
>> version, I guess we can inherit pgtk from tree-sitter.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of C-S-u with pure GTK to
> use GNOME's ibus widget?  Granted, we have other problems with ibus
> currently, but it's still a part that makes the pgtk branch feel
> gnomier.

I'm not very into the details of implementation of pgtk and how it
affects C-S-u, also, I don't usually use C-S-u, so can't say much here.

> As for tree-sitter-with/without-gtk, I have no opinion here.  We could
> try exporting package rewriters so that everyone can have their cup of
> tea, but maintaining one's own Emacs on the user/channel level ought
> not to be too difficult either.

I guess inheriting pgtk from tree-sitter looks most logical here: no
potential problems for X users, tree-sitter for wayland users.  Updated
the inheritance hierarchy.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin