guix-devel

[workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 10:28:35 +0200

Hello,

often bug reports related to patches are left open even after the
patch/patchset have been applied, the last example is a batch of Debbugs
manual gardening from Vagrant last Fri and Sat when he closed more than
20 bugs with messages similar to this one:

 rofi-wayland was added in:

 04b5450ad852735dfa50961d3afc789b2e52b407 gnu: Add rofi-wayland.

 And updated to a newer version in:

 19c042ddf80533ba7a615b424dedf9647ca65b0f gnu: rofi-wayland: Update to
1.7.5+wayland2.

 Marking as done.

(https://yhetil.org/guix/87zg25r0id.fsf@wireframe/)

IMO we need a way automatically close this kind of bug reports... or am
I missing something?

Let's avoid manual gardening as much as possible! :-)

The first thing we need is a server side git post-receive hook on
Savannah, I've opened the sr#110928 support request:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/index.php?110928

When I asket I though the best way would be to scan for a string like
"Close #<bug-number>" in the commit message (the committer should add
such a string) but probably this can be avoided: the bug can be closed
when a patch is committed to one of the listed official brances (master,
core-updates, etc.)

WDYT?

Ciao, Gio'

--