guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 15:11:57 +0200

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> Maybe patchwork already running (I think) could help, trying to
>> regularly rebase the branch dedicated to the submission on the top of
>> master, then if all is fine, somehow the two heads from the master
>> branch and the dedicated branch should match, and it would indicate the
>> patches are included and it is safe to close.  More or less. :-)
>
> We could use Gerrit's commit hook that adds a unique ID as a git
> trailer.

Do you mean "commit-msg" hook as documented here:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/cmd-hook-commit-msg.html
?

The Gerrit Code Review supplied implementation of this hook is a short shell
script which automatically inserts a globally unique Change-Id tag in the
footer of a commit message. When present, Gerrit uses this tag to track commits
across cherry-picks and rebases.

> Then it should become possible to
>
> 1. Check if all items of a series have appeared in the git history
> 2. If so, close the associated issue if it was still open

Thinking out loud:

a. each contributed patch will have a unique Change-Id, persistent
across rebases (and git commit --amend), and every new patch version
(produced during patch revision) will have the same Change-Id; this is
valid for all commits in a patch set

b. when all "Change-Id"s of patches contained in a patch set are listed
in the git history (of one of the official branches) the associated
issue can be closed

c. how do we get the issue number of a patch containing "Change-Id"? [1]

Did I miss something?

Thanks, Gio'

[1] right now how do we get the issue number of a committed patch?

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures