guix-europe

Financial report

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Financial report
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:13:41 +0200

Hello,

instead of giving my financial report orally next week and writing it down
for the minutes, I think I might as well write it down now while I prepare
it. All data is publicly visible and usually updated once a month in the
ledger file at

https://framagit.org/guix-europe/guix-europe/-/blob/main/accounting/accounting.ledger
On our website, I also just added a page with the assets we own and where
they are currently held:
   http://foundation.guix.info/assets/index.html

The first attached file summarises all our operations since our foundation
in 2016, obtained by
   ledger -f accounting.ledger balance

With 10€ of membership fees per year, you see that we have gone from
8 members in 2016 to 24 members in 2023, with a plateau during the covid
time. Usually every in-person event brings a few new members. Nevertheless
the situation is dynamic, some members leave the Guix community after a
few years, and in 2022 the Solidary Administrative Council revoked the
membership of two persons who had not paid their membership fees for three
years, and in 2023 it revoked the membership of a person who had not paid
in 2022 and whose email address was bouncing.

The first line shows that we currently have €4605.01 in the bank.
In 2019 we have opened a savings account ("Livret A"), with an interest
rate fixed by the French state, of 3% now since February. I usually keep
most of the money in the savings account, with a few hundred euros in the
checking account to provide for the monthly debit of €75 by Aquilenet for
hosting bayfront.

The second file summarises the financial operations since our last
ordinary General Assembly on 2021-11-06; we had two more Extraordinary
ones in 2022, but did not discuss financial matters then. It has been
obtained by
   ledger -f accounting.ledger balance --begin 2021-11-06

Note that all expenses have a positive sign, all spendings a negative sign.

Most of our activities were financially neutral, since they were reimbursed
by the Free Software Foundation.
For instance, purchases of machines for the build farms for €7675.99
were eventually reimbursed by the FSF:
- 3 Honeycomb machines and their SSDs: €3766.22
- 6 SSDs for the berlin build farm:    €3909.77
2 more Honeycomb machines were directly paid by the FSF without appearing
in our balances.

The same holds essentially for the hosting costs of bayfront; we usually
ask the FSF to reimburse them once a year, or at the same time as another
reimbursement for hardware to save on banking fees. So during the period,
we paid €1350 and received €1500, up to and including September 2022.

The outgoing membership fees of €40 correspond to two years membership at
Aquilenet, a prerequisite for them hosting bayfront.

The 10 Years of Guix celebrations were a major conference in June 2022.
Expenses correspond mainly to catering. We also spent €170.40 on two
kakemonoes advertising the event, and which will be available for future
activities.

In 2023, we have organised the first in-person Guix Days in Brussels again
after the covid interruption. The expenses of €2656.00 are the rent of the
venue and catering at ICAB, while the income of €1033.00 is the money
collected at lunch. We usually ask the FSF to reimburse the difference,
which still needs to be done: so far the cost of €1623 is borne by us.

Donations have been received by academic institutions interested in Guix:
€1000 each by the Universities of Grenoble and Montpellier, and €1500
by INRIA. So altogether our activities have resulted in a net gain
of €2323.36.

I think this covers essentially everything, I am looking forward to
presenting the numbers again in a week and to answering your questions.

Andreas