help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: 3DLDF (fwd)

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: 3DLDF (fwd)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:52:51 +0100 (MET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 12:51:19 +0100 (MET)
From: Laurence Finston <address@hidden>
To: XXX
Subject: Re: 3DLDF

Hi XXX,

Nice to hear from you again.

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, XXX wrote:

> I am still interresting by 3DLDF but was unable tu run it under windows in
> the past.
> Now I have the possibility to work with knoppix, is it easear to install
> 3DLDF with knoppix ?

So, it didn't work with DJGPP or Cygwin?

It should work with Knoppix, since Knoppix uses the Linux kernel and GCC
(the GNU Compiler Collection, which contains the C++ compiler).  I tried
to see how far I could get installing it on a Windows PC that I'd booted
with a Knoppix CD-ROM.  This wouldn't have worked anyway, because GNU
Bison isn't on the CD.  In fact, it failed because it ran out of
memory when trying to compile `parser.c++'.  This file is generated by
Bison and can't be broken up into multiple files for separate compilation.
A fully-equipped Knoppix installed on your hard disk would probably manage
it.  I think it would include Bison.  If not, you'd have to install it,
but this shouldn't be a problem.  In addition, I'm currently working on
removing code from the parser input files and replacing it with calls to
functions that are defined in other files.  This has already dramatically
reduced compile time for `parser.c++'.

You don't need to worry about `ctangle', because building 3DLDF
automatically builds `ctang3DL', which is a version of `ctangle'
with increased memory limits.

This only effects my development versions, collectively numbered 1.2.0.
1.1.5.1, the last stable release, doesn't have the parser.  On the
other hand, it doesn't have `ctang3DL', either.  So if your Knoppix
doesn't have CWEB, you'll have to install it.  This is very easy,
however.  With a bit of luck, you should be able to install 1.1.5.1
under Knoppix with no problems.  However, I do _strongly_ recommend using
1.2.0 instead.  I've programmed many new features since 1.1.5.1 and 1.20
is a lot more fun to use.

Please let me know how you get on.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd
appreciate it if you'd post any comments or questions to the mailing list:
address@hidden
You'd have to subscribe, though.  In order to keep spam out, postings from
non-subscribers are automatically discarded.

Thanks.

Laurence