help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: 3DLDF (fwd)

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: 3DLDF (fwd)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:50:07 +0100 (MET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:49:29 +0100 (MET)
From: Laurence Finston <address@hidden>
To: XXX
Subject: Re: 3DLDF

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, XXX wrote:

> May
> Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 do the Job ?
> RD

Probably not.  You could try, but I think it's very unlikely that it
would work.  You need to be able to call the compiler from the
command line.  Under Unix, this would be a shell window.  Under Windows,
it would be a DOS command window.  However, despite standards, there are
differences between C++ compilers and especially the standard libraries.

Porting a program from one system to another is usually hard work and not
much fun, even if it's just one Unix-like system to another.  C++ is a
much more complex language than C and some features, such as templates,
require a lot of intelligence on the part of the compiler and linker.
Templates are handled differently by different C++ compilation
environments, so they are a good candidate for causing problems when
porting.

In addition, 1.2.0 uses "threads", i.e., multiple threads of execution.
This is only possible on systems that support them.  To the best of my
knowledge, the only Windows systems that do are NT and XP.

In short, I think Knoppix is your best bet.  It's a GNU/Linux system, so
it should have everything you need.

Laurence