Re: unmaintained package?

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: unmaintained package?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:47:12 -0500

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 05:09:31PM +0100, Akim Demaille wrote:

>  > Well, who would I talk to about modifying bison to be used in an
>  > asynchronous manner? I found this Email from 2002
>  >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2002-06/msg00038.html
>  > which is *exactly* the problem that I'm having. So, it appears that this
>  > has been a feature of bison that has been needed for several years.
>
> The problem is only work load.  If Bison maintainers had the leisure
> to integrate all these skeletons, that would be marvelous.  But
> currently we try to fix issues in the supported skeletons.

Yes, this clearly seems like the most important objective of a stable
program.

> Please contact the author of the proposal, make sure it comes with a
> test suite, a complete documentation, a ChangeLog, a disclaimer for
> the FSF, and surely the skeleton will be integrate!

I would contact the author, if I could figure out how to get the email
address. Also, I'm not solely reling on the original poster. I would be
willing to do the work myself with a little guidance. I've already
contributed to GDB's MI interface, and I've worked with the readline
author to get readline working correctly for me in an asynchronous mode.

I would really appreciate some guidance from someone on the project,
that could steer me in the correct direction.

The good thing about the asynchronous mode, is that if it's easy to
modify the skeleton to work in an asynchronous manner, than you wouldn't
need another skeleton that worked in a non-asynchronous manner, it
could just call the ascync function.

For instance, there is now yyparse(), we could also make a yyaparse (),
which would be an asynchronous parse. yyparse () could be changed in the
skeleton to be
  while (1)
    yyaparse ();

and then we could export the new yyaparse () function to users, and
docuement it. Anyways this was off the top of my head, I'll have to
spend some time debugging a simple bison generated parser to understand
how it works.

If you could offer any guidence to me on this task, I'd greatly
appreciate it. I have no time table to get this task done.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi