Re: Encrypted password patch

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Encrypted password patch
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:08:03 +0200

At 17:45 24.06.2001 +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
Please note that patch breaks the compilation if the `crypt' function is
not present.  It should handle the situation reasonably, possibly by
never matching passwords not starting with $0$; the code must be
#ifdefed appropriately.

I'll look into it as soon as I can.

I wouldn't like to make GNATS installation dependent on Perl (despite
this is only a small utility), so the script should be written in C or
in sh using standard Unix tools (I'd think about awk, I think it's
present on every Unix system).

Yes, I'll see what I can get done. The only problem is that calculating MD5 hashes in a portable way in a shell script might prove to be a real challenge. It might be that we need a C program for the job. If so, I'll try to specify the intended behaviour to you.

- Yngve