Re: Encrypted password patch

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Encrypted password patch
Date: 24 Jun 2001 17:45:47 +0200

    YS> The following patch against current version 4 CVS implements the
    YS> following password system:

    YS> - If the password in gnatsd.access is prefixed with $0$, the
    YS> password is assumed to be explicit plaintext.  - If it is
    YS> prefixed with $1$, it is assumed to be in MD5 format.  - If it
    YS> has no prefix, it is assumed to be in standard DES crypt format.

    YS> I have tested this both on Linux and Solaris, and it works just
    YS> as expected.

Please note that patch breaks the compilation if the `crypt' function is
not present.  It should handle the situation reasonably, possibly by
never matching passwords not starting with $0$; the code must be
#ifdefed appropriately.

    YS> then write a Perl script to convert old password files.

I wouldn't like to make GNATS installation dependent on Perl (despite
this is only a small utility), so the script should be written in C or
in sh using standard Unix tools (I'd think about awk, I think it's
present on every Unix system).

(If anything of the above is difficult for you, no problem -- just
define the behavior and I'll do it.)

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.