Re: Subject line processing in Gnats 4.0

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Subject line processing in Gnats 4.0
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:26:00 +0100

At 23:01 12.12.01 +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:

    DB> solution: it's not clear to me why the regex is so restrictive.
    DB> i think it would make more sense for gnats to assume that any
    DB> message with a parseable PR identifier (<category>/<pr_num>) in
    DB> the subject should be appended to that PR.  that would allow for
    DB> all the real-world messages to be processed in a manner that
    DB> would not surprise the sender.

I agree, with an additional restriction described below.

I agree too, with the additional restriction that you propose, namely that <category> should be an existing category name. We do need to be certain not to attach any significance to the actual value of <category>, as long as it is an existing category, since people may send follow-ups to PRs that have since changed category.

This also allows us to get rid of the far-too-restrictive matching on "Re:" at the start of the subject, since some internationalized e-mail clients (at least MS Outlook) use localized equivalents, such as AW: (German) and SV: (Norwegian).

Yngve Svendsen
GNATS doc guy