Re: Subject line processing in Gnats 4.0

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Subject line processing in Gnats 4.0
Date: 15 Dec 2001 14:32:52 +0100

    >> - Accept "\<CATEGORY/NUMBER" where CATEGORY is a valid category
    >> name and PR NUMBER is present in CATEGORY.

    DB> i think this will cause problems -- as yngve pointed out, PRs
    DB> often change categories, and someone might reply to a PR that
    DB> has since changed.  i think the rule should be: Accept
    DB> "\<CATEGORY/NUMBER" where CATEGORY is a valid category name and
    DB> NUMBER is a valid PR number (in any category).

Yes, Yngve has made a good point, I agree.

    DB>  let's not worry about deleted categories -- that's probably a
    DB> very infrequent occurrence, and it could get ugly to code
    DB> around...

OK.

    DB> hmmm, we need to make sure that the edge-cases are covered.  for
    DB> instance, what happens with this subject "re: sw-foo/1234:
    DB> Compilation fails on OS/2"?

This is only a problem when there's the category `os' and there's an
especially important PR #2 that can't be deleted.  Not much serious
problem, IMO.

    DB> what about some strange situation where the false hit came
    DB> *before* the category/number pair, like a mailing list post:
    DB> "FW: [OS/2 users] Re: sw-foo/1234: bar baz quux"?

We should probably consider all possible matches and use the first valid
one.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
The world is not something you can wrap your head around without needing years
of experience.                              -- Kent M. Pitman in comp.lang.lisp