help-gnustep

Re: MacOSX GNUstep build issues

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: MacOSX GNUstep build issues
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:24:24 +0000

On 9 Dec 2004, at 15:21, Adam Fedor wrote:

On Dec 9, 2004, at 2:19 AM, Kree Cole-McLaughlin wrote:
Ooops, you're right, I got it backwards. I guess libgnustep-base is linking agaisnt the shared libraries, which means every time I want to build an app I need to include the libraries in the linking command (what a pain!) Does anyone know how to force darwin to include the static versions of the libraries in libgnustep-base? Do I have to move the shared libraries out of the way while I compile GNUstep? There should be a better way.

Um... I'm not really sure what's going on here. You shouldn't need to include basic libraries like libxml, etc in every linking command. What errors are you getting? What are you compiling? Try running make like this:

I believe that on MacOS-X/darwin the linker does not work 'properly', in that the dynamic linking of libraries used by other libraries does not take place, so you have to link all libraries into the executable explicity.

This is a MAJOR pain IMO.

For instance, if there is a C library which I want to wrap in a nice Object-Oriented interface in ObjC, I would generally build a new ObjC library wrapping it, and link my ObjC library with the C library. Then on all systems other than MacOS-X I would just link my ObjC library into a program, but on MacOS-X I would have to link the program with both my ObjC library AND the orignal C library.

I'm not sure, but I think it may be even worse ... so if I build a bundle which uses a library, a program which tries to dynamically load that bundle must have been linked with the library the bundle uses.

That being said ... I'm not completely sure of all this, it's just the impression I've gained when trying to use MacOS-X. Someone else may have a surer idea of the exact behavior. Even better, someone may know of compiler/linker flag combinations which could be used to make MacOS-X act like a normal unix system.