Re: Updating a very old Guix

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Updating a very old Guix
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:21:35 +0100

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you report this to address@hidden

Done (and Ludo and Ricardo are already looking into this).

> How about reinstalling v. 0.15 overwriting your current installation?
>
> this would invalidate all your store items though.

Exactly, which is why I would like to avoid it. The current profile
of the only account that matters on that machine contains some fragile
software, so I am not at all sure that if I reinstall and update
everything I will still have a working system.

Perhaps I could try to archive all the stuff in the profile, re-install
Guix, and recover my store items from the archive. But as far as I know
there is no way to install them into a profile afterwards.

BTW, I did find a way to run "guix pull" which has a good chance to work
on a more typical installation: remove $HOME/.config/guix and then run
"/usr/local/bin/guix pull". Unfortunately, this fails on my machine
because of insufficient disk space for building an enormous amount of
packages. Even gtk, although I am on a headless server.

I actually wonder if it is reasonable to run Guix on such a limited
machine. My store fills up 1/3 of the 10 GB partition, and that's right
after a "guix gc". Perhaps I should keep a profile with that machine's
software on my main Guix machine and just copy over the binaries from
time to time.

Konrad.