Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 09:47:16 -0500

In the root of every project directory, I now include a channels.scm file and a manifest.scm file.

I was using direnv to automatically launch guix shell, but I wanted more flexibility to easily launch variations of guix shell.

Now I am also including a Makefile in the root of every project directory so I can use "make guix-shell" or "make guix-container" or "make project-documentation" etc to quickly run commands.

This works well for certain types of projects, but there could be conflicts with projects that expect or automatically generate their own Makefiles.

I could use a different Makefile name for my guix commands, but that makes my commands less convenient to type.

Is it considered bad practice to use make like this? Is there a better way to do something similar?