help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:13:59 +0100

Hi,

Just a few words to tell you 0.0.12beta is closing. By now there's
enough bug-fixes to make a release:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34614
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34646
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34647

Now one thing I've introduced is "tooltips", "help" and "breadcrumbs".
Basically, it displays text in various places in the menus to help
players find their way through the interface. While this is not 100%
mandatory, I'm quite confident it does help, knowing where you are and
what's below you when browsing maps is definitely a plus. See attached
screenshot.

One consequence is that there are possibly *a lot* more items to
translate. By now it's still work in progress, I'm not even sure the
English texts are right. Any suggestion welcome.

Another consequence is that I introduced a "metadata.xml" file in maps.
Just take a look at the snapshot tarball (will be generated this night),
it does contain examples. Basically, it allows to write a (hopefully)
short description of the map, pretty printed title, author and license.

Next point, 0.0.12beta will come with networking enabled. I still won't
allow you to play in network mode, only list other nodes. FYI there's a
permanent node already running on http://ufoot.org:8056/ which runs the
latest snapshot (recompiled and restarted every night, GMT+1).

Something else I want to do before releasing is having sort of an
automated way to check-up the various teams settings. Typically running
bots as a batch/background task and getting statistical results about
who won/lost. This should help avoiding situation where color X always
beats color Y. At least we should run that against red/green/blue/yellow.

Once this is OK, 0.0.12beta will be packaged ;)

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit - http://www.ufoot.org/                    ___ __/\__