help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:08:45 +0100

2011/12/29 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>
I really like this one: http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/264/lw6androidx4.jpg

It requires a little extra development to display the map in the little box on
the bottom right, but this could in turn be used, for instance, to display the
"character" associated to a color when choosing a team. What do you think?

Hey, good thinking! I'm currently trying to design the characters, by the way. So if anybody has any character suggestions, this is the time to share them! I'll try to keep the names from the fan fiction, even though there's the question about purple/violet and cyan/turquise. Also I think I will change "Commander Orange" to King or something else. The previous name kind of made me think of Agent Orange, and I'd like to keep LW hermetic seperated from any reference to real war. (I feel I'm a bit hysterical here ... on the other hand, if I can make that connection, other players might too.)

I note your remark about not being able to move mouse on a menu item without
clicking on it. What alternative can we have? Have an intermediate screen?

It might be possible for the touchscreen user to just keep the finger down on the screen and scroll over the level menu items, thus getting the preview effect. Then, when he removes the finger, the level is selected.

We could also have some sort of two-click solution, where you have to first click on the level menu item to select it, and then click on a PLAY menu item. I think it could work, but it might seem a bit cucumbersome. I personally hate it when the GUI on PC games are limited by the input device of the console system the game was designed for ... or in this case, the mobile telephone.

maybe present "up/down" buttons next to the "back" button, or maybe more at
the bottom (I suspect buttons on top are cumbersome for your hand hides the
screen if your finger is on top).

I think it feels more natural that the up/down buttons are close to the botton list they are refering to. I did consider if we could place the up/down icon to the left of the menu items, to save vertical space, but I couldn't figure out how to make it look cool. (About up/down, maybe it should just be one-click instead of mouseover-to-scroll. So the user clicks it and scrolls to the next X menu items.)

About the menu, I have sized it up to normal:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8669/xx6small3big.jpg

The same, but with the preview moved to the upper area:
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8549/xx6small3big2.jpg

 - Kasper