help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:20:02 +0100

2011/12/13 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>
As a side note, if we want to anticipate usage on smartphones, we need
to have a *bigger* font for menus, I think. I might be wrong, but I
suspect in your screenshots it's quite small for a 3.5 inches display.
OTOH the help/tooltips/breadcrumbs need not be very big, if one misses
the information it's not that bad, after all, a few weeks ago it didn't
even exists. I'm opened to suggestions.

Yup, that's correct! I was a bit nerveous about this, because giant menus easily ends up looking a bit silly. But  I have finally tried recreating the menu at 320x480 pixels, which is my phones resolution. (3.2 inch HVGA) I have used a fixed text size. This isn't a must, but it's an easy way to use the space effectively. We could also let the interactive items (menu items) be larger.

SIDE BY SIDE:
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/410/lw6small.jpg

SINGLE IMAGES:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3280/lw6androidx1.jpg
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4258/lw6androidx2.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5263/lw6androidx3.jpg
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/264/lw6androidx4.jpg

The text needs to be large enough to be readable. Also, the menu items needs to be large enough for the fingers. As it is, the menu items has roughly the same distance as the keys on my vertical on-screen keyboard. Not perfect, but okay.

One thing to note about smartphones is that the user don't have any cursor. Touching the screen is akin to hovering the mouse over the item and left-clicking. So you cannot hover the cursor over the menu item to preview the map or get information from the info area at the lover part of the screen.

 - Kasper