help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Work in progress, again
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 07:11:16 +0100

Hi,

On 12/26/2011 10:41 PM, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> 2011/12/17 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
>
>     Without any hesitation, I'd go for the fanfic option. Do we need to
>     change any reference to "cyan" into "turquoise"?
>

> We could also just call it Sir. Cyan. But lets look at it after I have
> actually started designing the characters.
I agree, we can change afterwards.

> Also, we could either use the name 'purple' or 'violet':
> PURPLE: Named after a sea snail. Defines the area of non-spectral colors
> between violet and red.
> VIOLET: Named after a flower. A more specific color than purple. (it is
> pretty much the one used in the game)
> (it won't do much difference - to most people, the words means the same)
I agree, means the same for most people, and that includes me. BTW it's
possible to redefine colors within a map so we shouldn't be to picky
about the *exact* color.

> If we keep the names used in the fanfic, we still need titles for some
> colors:
>  * Magenta
>  * Pink
>  * Light Blue
>  * Blue
Note that magenta was the one present in LW5 and which took the violet name.

> Possible titles:
>  * Lord / Lady
>  * Brother / Sister
>  * Baroness
>  * King / Queen
>  * Prince / Princess
>  * Grandmaster
>  * Mistress
>  * Duke
>  * Sultan
>  * Caliph
>  * Marquis
>  * Knight
>  * Earl
>  * Doctor
Wow, that's a list!

> This leads to the question: Should LW6 have girl characters? Oh boy,
> that's a big one!
If you ask me, the answer is yes.

> Nobody will notice if we have male characters only. I have never even
> noticed the lack of females in the fanfic, or in Tintin. I think a
> 'males only' universe makes the characters sex something that just isn't
> relevant, since there is no females to give it contrast. A bit like the
> way we read phrases like "history of man" and automatically interprets
> it to "human" or when we talk about genetic "guys" when we mean "persons".
As you stated, most people won't notice (I usually don't, for one) but
if we put female characters, they will notice, for sure. Many games
include female characters, including violent ones like fighting 1-on-1
games (Mortal Kombat...), my little girl plays Mario Kart and she enjoys
playing Peach and baby Peach, the list is endless. Girls are everywhere!
- but I did not really check this list members ;)

> On the other hand, I'm not totally sure I like that "boys' club theme".
Now second question, how many girls? Mmm, 4 or 5 out of ten does seem a
right match, I don't feel we need to insist on some perfect equality,
LW6 primary goals is not to defend social causes, in the end, your
imagination will probably draw the line.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit - http://www.ufoot.org/                    ___ __/\__