Re: [help-texinfo] Changing fonts (default one doesn't support accents)

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Changing fonts (default one doesn't support accents)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:54:04 -0600

    However, I still get those strange nodes names written at the beginning
    of the pdf file. I don't know how to remove them.

I'll look at it.  I doubt it is deep, and I think it is independent of
the general problem of accents in node names.

    Isn't there anyway to use accented characters in nodes names,

We will find a way.  I thought others had already found a workaround for
it, but from the lack of replies, I guess not.

For your case, we're only talking about pdf (TeX) output, right?  You
don't care about html or anything else from makeinfo?

It would help me if you could prepare two minimal texinfo files with one
node and one xref:

\input texinfo
@setfilename actest.info
@documentencoding ISO-8859-15

@node nodewithaccents
@chapter chapwithaccents

@xref{nodewithaccents}.

In one file, use actual 8-bit chars for accents in the node/chap
names, and in the other, use Texinfo commands (@'e or whatever).

Then try texi2dvi --pdf on both, and texi2dvi --pdf --recode on both.
Does any combination work?  If not, send me the two files and the
four .log's, please.  (As a .tgz or some such to avoid email corruption.)

Finally, you are using the latest ftp://tug.org/tex/texinfo.tex, right?

Sorry this is such a hassle.  People have just lived with it until now,
I guess.

Thanks,
Karl