ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: Jack Bertram
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:42:04 +0100

Note that this message should be read with caution - Clemens has pointed
out that you should think twice before modifyin Maildirs with standard
tools - you're losing half the advantages of switching to Maildirs.

* Brett N <address@hidden> [030515 17:46]:
> So my forte isn't so much procmail and shell scripts, so I tried writing
> this in PERL. I'm about 75% done getting it to work. I had a couple of
> questions..
>
> 1.First, if I just traverse the "cur" folder in each directory, will that
> suffice?

AFAIK, yes, because any "new" messages will not have been moved by you
so aren't a candidate for relearning.

> 2.What does a nested directory look like? does the backend server store it
> flat? (ie, do I need to recurse?)

Don't understand this - you presumably have direct access to your mail
directory, so surely you know whether or not it's nested.  But yes,
probably.

> 3.Right now, I backup only files (messages!) that are changed.. They stay
> there in the backupdir until someone deletes them.. is that ok?

Up to you.  I've never yet needed my backups but I'd sure like to have a
complete set if I need them.

> 4. What do you do with the sent-mail folder? I'd like to just skip it, but
> it's always called something different.. (was thinking of an array of
> "non-sort" folders.. not sure how to implement?
> defined(grep(/$thisfolder/,@nonsorts))???  )

I arrange for any mail which hasn't been filtered by ifile to be
untouched, but on a message per message basis.  You could ignore the
folder if you want.

> OH, so can I just call the ifile.relearn.message script on the message
> file after I add the X-Ifile-Learned-To: Header? Or do those scripts need
> mods too? (seemed like they didn't as I recall..)

Yes, I guess so.

jack