ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: Brett Nemeroff
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,
I'm the original poster of the maildir stuff..

I am using ifile and procmail to do inital classification for new mail as
it arrives. If mail is mis-sorted, I wanted to simply move it to it's new
(correct) folder. A cron job would run and look for messages that were
Ifile-Hint(ed) to a folder that it's not currently in and then
ifile.relearn that message to it's new folder. That's all. I've actually
written a script that does this in perl, but with one pretty bad problem.
The script calls formail -I and pipes the output to a "filename.new" then
moves "filename" to "backup" and then renames "filename.new" to "filename"
(you get the picture). This totally corrupts the date/time stamp on the
file and for maildir, that's used for header sorting.

Any ideas? I actually just do a bunch of system calls from perl to do this
since I'm not a perl or shell script expert.. I'm looking at utime to fix
the date/time stamp.. not sure if that's the right approach..
-Brett