ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format

From: clemens fischer
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: Maildir format
Date: 29 May 2003 08:12:17 +0200

"Brett Nemeroff" <address@hidden>:

> I am using ifile and procmail to do inital classification for new
> mail as it arrives. If mail is mis-sorted, I wanted to simply move
> it to it's new (correct) folder. A cron job would run and look for
> messages that were Ifile-Hint(ed) to a folder that it's not
> currently in and then ifile.relearn that message to it's new folder.

IMHO ifile should be made capable of adding a special ("X-ifiled:
<category>") header to messages.  i think this is the best solution
for this kind of problems.  for this ifile would have to store the
message on stdin or given on the argument line, classify it and
concatenate the classification in the form of that special header and
the message itself to make the final result.

btw., your script doesn't mention locking.  if you refile often,
several invocations could step on each others toes.  believe me, you
can't just ignore this problem.  i did, and many problems appeared
that were hard to diagnose.

  clemens