Re: Uh oh. IMAP and ifile-gnus

From: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: Uh oh. IMAP and ifile-gnus
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:46:27 +0200

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> I have installed and configured an imap server (Courier).  I have
> begun to move my mail over to it and to use procmail to deliver to it
> and then it hit me when I was doing some testing.
>
> ifile-gnus doesn't do nnimap.  Damn.  I really like using ifile to
> pre-sort my mail.
>
> Now the IMAP server is on my own site, so maybe I can do something to
> keep ifile working for me.  Has anyone encountered this and found a
> workaround?

It appears fairly easy to use ifile with procmail to split.  Then the
only question is how to train ifile.  The site
<http://www.7jb.org/projects/ifile/ifile.html> seems to give a lot of
good advice.  Unlike ifile-gnus, the author trains his filter through
a cron job.  I think I'd have to tweak the scripts for use with
Maildir, but it doesn't look too different.

Maybe ifile-gnus functionality works with training the filter but not
with ifile-recommend.  I'm not sure yet.

One disadvantage of using procmail + ifile for sorting: It won't play
too well with my biff of choice, since tkbiff requires one window per
box.

One advantage (I think): It should surely be much faster to fetch mail
if it's already split, right?

--
"The papers are currently at journals.  [When published,] make no
mistake, there will be no place on this planet where you can hide.