Re: Uh oh. IMAP and ifile-gnus

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Uh oh. IMAP and ifile-gnus
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:32:55 -0400

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, jesse@phiwumbda.org wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Maybe you or someone else can make it work with the Gnus registry?
>> It should offer enough functionality to make tracking of articles
>> possible, the way the current ifile-gnus does for nnml (IIRC).
>
> Well, I've been meaning to learn about the registry, but I wasn't keen
> on having such pressure to start.

There's no pressure, you're the only one who needs the feature :)

> I might have to look at that spam.el again.  I wish I knew better
> which bits of ifile-gnus work with imap and which don't.  If
> ifile-gnus updates .idata whenever I move mail around, then maybe I
> can use procmail for the recommendations.  It's not quite as nice as
> the current setup --- in order to have my rules take precedence over
> ifile's recommendations, I'd have to split on every IMAP mailbox.  But
> I think it would work.

The gnus-registry uses Gnus hooks to track when articles are moved,
deleted, spooled, or copied.  If you don't want to use the registry
which will automatically tell you "this message is in groups A, B, C"
then you could directly use those hooks to track articles.

ifile-gnus will not AFAIK work with nnimap.

Ted