Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir

From: Cristian Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:09:01 -0400

Martin Geisler wrote:
> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> Well, no surprise there.... Does setting the level to 7 make a
>> difference?
>
> No, it's the same thing.
>
> Perhaps I should put those groups in another maildir server, but I
> find that solution a bit silly.  Perhaps I should just live with this
> initial delay in starting Gnus...

Silly, but improves the overall situation: I "outsourced" maildir access
to courier-imap. Yes, running on the same machine. Gnus now accesses my
folders via nnimap, and it ain't that bad after all; startup is fast,
checking for new mail is fast.. only deleting one (or more) message in a
(say) 8000-messages folder takes a little while (15-20 secs); in smaller
folders it's unnoticeable. Moving between folders is always fast.

And I should also mention that Gnus' uptime increased considerably; I
rarely have to deal with slowness and unstability related to memory
issues, as I mentioned a while ago.

The only thing I regret is not being able to use nnir.el with my nnimap
folders... I think I just lost big on that end; sequential search
doesn't cut it on this scale, and off-Gnus swish-e is just.. ahem, silly
:)

<plug>
If anyone has a working nnir.el hack for enabling it to make an
indexed search on nnimap folders, I'll be grateful and very very
happy.
</plug>

--
Cristian Gutierrez                      http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

I stole this sig from someone cleverer than me.