Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir

From: Martin Geisler
Subject: Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:06:29 +0200

Cristian Gutierrez <crgutier@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:

>> [... about using SSH to connect my PC and then start Gnus there.]
>
> It seems impractical if, like me, you leave your Gnus session open
> under X. If I can get my hands on computer with an X server, I just
> ssh in to my PC and instruct the running Emcacs+Gnus instance (via
> gnuclient) to open a new window on the ssh-forwarded display.

That is a cool trick, no doubt about that!

The only thing I can think of, that speaks slightly against the idea
of just using X forwarding like that is, that I have different sets of
files on my two computers.

I like having a local Emacs open to edit my local files, and when
using forwarding, then I would have two Emacs windows... but that's a
minor detail, I know.

I think the problem can be solved in a number of equally good ways,
all of them having their own merits.  Using X forwarding is especially
good because it (as you say) is flexible: you can use it whenever you
find a machine with an X server, and even when there is no X server,
you can still go for a terminal.

So for me, it will still be good backup solution, one that is better
than the webmail solution, for I wont have the same easy access my
BBDB address book in a webmail situation.  Unless I synchronize the
data between BBDB and the webmail... hmm... there's another
project... :-)

--
Martin Geisler                                  My GnuPG Key: 0xF7F6B57B

PHP EXIF Library      |  PhpWeather              |  PhpShell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://gimpster.com/
Read/write EXIF data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser