Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: B Gruff
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:57:28 +0100

Mike Cox wrote:

> Iaspersionshat my comprehensive review of
> Linux, and GNU programs would be written using all open source tools
> and operating systems.  This review was to be submitted to several
> news sites including slashdot and OSNEWS.
>
> Much to my dismay, as I was working on my very long review (about
> 100 pages typed), xemacs core dumped on me.  I was unable to recover
> anything.  I didn't save my document because I never expected emacs
> to core dump.

Gee Mike, I really am sorry to hear that.
I guess even 100 pages on MS Word will take a whole lot of work?
I wouldn't cast any aspersions on MS Word, of course, but it might be
as well to remember when you do your re-typing that even the best of
systems can have a power glitch etc., and to save your file
frequently?

Anyway, chin up, back to work, eh?  - and do post a URL when your
magnum-opus is up there in bright lights - I'm sure that I speak for
all your fans when I say that we look forward to reading it:-)

Bill