Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: Richard E Maine
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: 16 Sep 2004 15:59:11 -0700

mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com (Mike Cox) writes:

> I thought that emacs had perfect stability and no crashes.

There is *NOTHING* that has perfect stability and no crashes.
If you have managed to become convinced otherwise, then I
have a bridge to sell you.  :-)

> Much to my dismay, as I was working on my very long review (about 100
> pages typed), xemacs core dumped on me.  I was unable to recover
> anything.  I didn't save my document because I never expected emacs to
> core dump.

100 pages and you never saved it because you *THOUGHT* core dumps
were impossible?  I suppose you never do system backups either
because you have been assured that brand X computers don't die
(for whatever your favorite value of X is)?

Heck, even without software crashes, what happens when the document
is accidentally destroyed through some error of your own?  Don't
tell me that you never make errors.  (The thesis of your post seems
to be that you made one by using emacs).  The possibilities are
infinite.

I'd suggest that you need to learn a lesson from this.  That lesson
has little to do with what software choices you happen to make or
with whatever caused this particular crash.  If you don't learn the
lesson, you *WILL* get bit again.

--
Richard Maine                       |  Good judgment comes from experience;
email: my first.last at org.domain  |  experience comes from bad judgment.