Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: Richard Taylor
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:28:31 +0100

Mike Cox wrote:

I recently switched to xemacs as my default word processor so I could
do formatting in TEX for a very long document.  Most recently I've
been using Microsoft Word, the latest version.  I switched because I
thought that emacs had perfect stability and no crashes.  My
perception was formed due to the constant FSF/GPL/Linux advocacy
promoted on slashdot and all the comp newsgroups.

I was also inspired by Paul Graham's claims that LISP will not core
dump and you can debug and get back to work.

So with this background, I decided that my comprehensive review of
Linux, and GNU programs would be written using all open source tools
and operating systems.  This review was to be submitted to several
news sites including slashdot and OSNEWS.

Much to my dismay, as I was working on my very long review (about 100
pages typed), xemacs core dumped on me.  I was unable to recover
anything.  I didn't save my document because I never expected emacs to
core dump.  The worst I thought would happen would be some LISP error.
Hopefully someone can debug emacs and fix this dangerous bug.  Until
then, I'm probably going to go back to Microsoft Word 2003.  THe
following is my core dump file:

I can see that all of your problems will be solved, as MS Word, in common with all MS software, has an excellent reputation as robust software which almost _never_ crashes, certainly not as often as GNU/Linux applications.

Personally, I make a point to never save my work either. Certainly not once I'm getting close to the 100 page mark. Since my software is known to _never_ crash, what possible good could it do me to save a copy dozens of hours of hard work to my hard drive?

Certainly, none of the problems you have experience could be laid at the feet of the user, as it is customary to expect that one can type a 100-page document without the slightest chance of:

        A) Loosing power,

        B) Hardware failiure

        C) Software failiure unrelated to word processor/text editor,

        D) General malign fate.

You have, of course, my deepest sympathies. Rest assured that I will never again take the risk of using or advocating XEmacs, GNU Emacs, or any other GNU Project/FSF software. After all, it's clearly not suitable for the needs of a /reasonable/ user.

--
Richard