Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:39:55 +0200

GreyCloud <mist@cumulus.com> writes:

> Mike Cox wrote:

[a lot of bull]

> In all the years since the 80's have I ever seen emacs or Xemacs
> ever crash on a Prime, a VAX, or under any version of RedHat Linux,
> Caldera Linux, or Sun Solaris.

Oh, I have.  And the message he quoted was quite definitely from
XEmacs (of course, you could easily trigger it by sending signal 11 to
an idle XEmacs, which I would not want to rule out as a possibility:
the Lisp backtrace certainly is from a corner of XEmacs that has
nothing to do with editing and little chances of core dumps).

> This folks is a pure outright lie and a troll.

Obviously.  But not because he claimed Emacs/XEmacs can crash.  They
certainly can, in particular if you are using developer versions or
playing around with new functionality heavily.  The consequences
rarely are serious: after all, autosave files exist.

> It just goes to show you how low some trolls will go to FUD the Open
> Source community.

As if cola-baiting was an uncommon occurence.  I think he does it more
for fun than any deeper cause.