Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: GreyCloud
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:34:07 -0600

David Kastrup wrote:

GreyCloud <mist@cumulus.com> writes:

Mike Cox wrote:

[a lot of bull]

In all the years since the 80's have I ever seen emacs or Xemacs
ever crash on a Prime, a VAX, or under any version of RedHat Linux,
Caldera Linux, or Sun Solaris.

Oh, I have.

On a Prime computer or a VAX?

I never did.

We all know that there are crap hardware out there.
Knowing Mike Cox, he probably owns a cheap Dell.

Most of these failures are bound to be hardware problems or an o/s mis-match. I've seen these problems before.

And the message he quoted was quite definitely from
XEmacs (of course, you could easily trigger it by sending signal 11 to
an idle XEmacs, which I would not want to rule out as a possibility:
the Lisp backtrace certainly is from a corner of XEmacs that has
nothing to do with editing and little chances of core dumps).

Maybe he sent a sig 11 to the o/s.

Consider Cox a troll.

This folks is a pure outright lie and a troll.

Obviously.  But not because he claimed Emacs/XEmacs can crash.  They
certainly can, in particular if you are using developer versions or
playing around with new functionality heavily.  The consequences
rarely are serious: after all, autosave files exist.

Which again makes Mike Cox a troll.

The next question is:  does he troll for money.

It just goes to show you how low some trolls will go to FUD the Open
Source community.

As if cola-baiting was an uncommon occurence.  I think he does it more
for fun than any deeper cause.

Mostly the case. Simon cooke e-mailed me and said he really loved to troll COLA. You may have remembered him.

--
The Golden Years Sux.