Re: Gnus is losing IMAP articles

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Gnus is losing IMAP articles
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:01:24 +0200

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:39:52 +0200, Christian Lynbech
<christian.lynbech@ericsson.com> wrote:

> I read mail via IMAP towards an Windows Exchange server here at
> work. Mail arrive in "INBOX" and I have gnus retrieve mail from
> "INBOX" and split them out into a bunch of other folders where I do
> the reading.
>
> When I occasionally fire up outlook, it will go to my "INBOX" and
> display its contents. It furthermore reads the first message.
>
> I have noticed that if outlook has marked a message as read, gnus
> will not handle it anymore, at least in the sense that further
> splitting of the "INBOX" will leave behind those messages that
> Outlook has touched.
>
> The idea here is that it could be that "foreign" mailreaders does
> stuff to the messages that makes them disappear to gnus.
>
> I am unsure whether reverting (through Outlook) the read state of
> such mails will make it reappear in front of gnus. I also think (but
> can't really remember) that if I ask gnus to go to the "INBOX"
> folder all such messages do in fact appear to gnus, indicating that
> the behaviour described is not really what you ae experiencing.
>
> One approach would to identify some of the missing messages and bash
> them around a bit (copy to a new folder, change state etc) with some
> of the other readers to see if that will make any difference to
> gnus.

I've now done the following:

1. Mark all (3,800) messages as unread in Outlook, then quit Outlook.

2. Start Gnus and go to that IMAP folder.  Gnus still reports only
   1,400 (now unread) articles.

3. Catch up with this folder from Gnus.

4. Quit Gnus, start Outlook again.  Gnus has marked all 3,800 articles
   as read although it can only see 1,400 of them.

5. Via Outlook move one of the missing articles into another IMAP
   folder.

6. Gnus can now see it.  I can also move this article back into the
   offending folder from within Gnus and now also see it there.  But
   only this one - the other 2,400 are still missing.

Sigh - I still have no idea what's happening... :(

Thanks for your help,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.