Re: Gnus is losing IMAP articles

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Gnus is losing IMAP articles
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:14:54 +0200

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:50:52 -0400, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> The best thing to do at this point is to do an IMAP debug session
> (set imap-debug to t and reproduce the problem on the Gnus side as
> best you can).

I've now investigated this a little bit more and finally came to the
conclusion that Gnus agent was the problem.  One of the offending IMAP
folders was called INBOX.lists.lispworks and after deleting all files
in the local

  ~/News/agent/nnimap/mail-imap/INBOX/lists/lispworks

folder and restarting Emacs/Gnus I could finally see the whole IMAP
folder again.

Is there a better way to `re-sync' Gnus with the IMAP server without
getting rid of all the articles cached?  I though that
`gnus-agent-regenerate-group' would do it but obviously it doesn't.

Any why did this happen at all?  (It's not the only IMAP folder that
had problems.)

Now, this reminds me of other problems I had with Gnus agent and IMAP
but they were the other way around: After deleting IMAP articles with
another client (like SquirrelMail or Outlook) they were still shown by
Gnus and I had to manually delete the corresponding lines from the
`.overview' file.

FWIW, here are the settings related to Gnus agent from my .gnus file:

  (setq gnus-agent-cache t
        gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t
        gnus-agent-enable-expiration 'DISABLE
        gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)

I freely admit that for some for them I don't know exactly what
they're for - I've probaly copied them monkey-see-monkey-do from other
Usenet articles.

Thanks,
Edi.

--