Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:15:11 -0500

On Fri, Sep 10 2021, Bob Newell wrote:
> I have rsync'd gnus for years with success. In addition to the files
> already listed I sync .newsrc.eld, but that is updated infrequently.
> Not strictly gnus entries, but related closely enough, I also sync
> .authinfo and .msmtprc (as I use msmtp) and also .bbdb.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

When you are rsyncing gnus, are you doing this while emacs is running on
the different machines?  Or are you starting a fresh emacs session after
all the files got updated on a machine?

Digging through things I realized that .newsrc.eld seems to store
article marks.  For example it sets gnus-newsrc-alist that holds an
assoc list of read articles.  However, in a running emacs session the
same information is stored also in gnus-newsrc-hashtb.  So the question
becomes: What steps are needed to fully restart gnus while emacs is
running so that internal variables such as gnus-newsrc-hashtb get
re-initialized, too.

-- I realized that testing all this does not require two different
machines.  But two instances of emacs running on one computer
effectively give the same situation to play with.  It seems that a
running gnus session does not warn the user that another emacs instance
has fiddled with files such as .newsrc.eld.  Is this true?