Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:39:01 -1000

>> On Fri, Sep 10 2021, Bob Newell wrote:
>>> I have rsync'd gnus for years with success. In addition to the files
>>> already listed I sync .newsrc.eld, but that is updated infrequently.
>>> Not strictly gnus entries, but related closely enough, I also sync
>>> .authinfo and .msmtprc (as I use msmtp) and also .bbdb.

>> When you are rsyncing gnus, are you doing this while emacs is running on
>> the different machines?  Or are you starting a fresh emacs session after
>> all the files got updated on a machine?

I should have been clearer about how I myself do the
rsyncing. I avoid concurrency problems (among what has grown
to be nine devices) by only using one device at a time. I
upsync typically just before shutting down a machine, and
downsync just after starting one up.

I only use one instance of emacs at a time, globally. That may
be too limiting for some use cases, but it avoids a host of
issues. It doesn't limit me very much except that I need to be
careful not to be running emacs under termux on an Android
phone at the same time as I'm running on a laptop or desktop.

I never, ever downsync while emacs/gnus etc. are running. I
may, however upsync, but I still need to upsync again just
prior to shutting down and after exiting emacs and other
applications. As noted elsewhere in this thread, emacs updates
some files only on exit.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i