Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: synchronizing gnus sessions on multiple computers
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 08:30:26 -1000

Greg Farough <gregf@gnu.org> writes:

> Just chipping into say that I sync all the files mentioned in this
> thread through Syncthing, between multiple Emacs sessions that run
> 24/7 on different machines.

First --- I should have added .gnus.registry.eieio to the sync
list.

I was not familiar with syncthing and it looks intriguing. But
alas it doesn't suit my use case. I cannot rely on having two
devices running at the same time. I might have two or even
three or four, but most of the time it is just one. So
syncthing wouldn't work for me.

In any case the biggest difficulty would still be the age-old
problem of having the same file open on more than one machine
at a time. In my environment I have to be careful not to do
that or I run the risk of data loss. I don't see that
syncthing would really fix that.

My method of operation requires that I sync to/from a central
source. In my case I settled on rsync.net, who offer their
"borg" plan to users who don't require technical support at a
price affordable to a retiree on a fixed income.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB