Re: No need for CC, please

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: No need for CC, please
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:07:50 -0400

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:16:46PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Jeroen Dekkers dies 02/05/2006 hora 10:18:
> > And that means adding Mail-Followup-To or Mail-Copies-To headers to
> > your mails. Well behaving clients will look at those headers and
> > automatically include/exclude you from the CC list.

Yes, for mutt a simple ``list address@hidden'' in the configuration file
should be enough, iIrc.

> Those headers are not standard in any way, and at least controversial.
> They are only honoured by a small number of MUAs (including mine, BTW).
>
> Instead, Reply-To and List-* headers exist and are well-defined and
> specified in standard track. List-* headers let the MUA know where a
> reply is to be made for the list, whereas Reply-To let it know if and
> where a reply to the original author is to be made.
>
> I don't see why I should be using an under-specified and non-standard
> feature where a consistent standard one exists. That's technically
> nonsense, IMHO.

The ``List-*'' headers don't provide all functionality that is needed.

It happens that people are involved in discussions, people who are not
recipients of the messages distributed over the mailing list.  For
example on the thread about SSH, Marcus cced a person who is not a
participant of this mailing list.  You suggest that this person should
not receive replies to his messages?

Another one.  My time is limited.  As everyone else's, I guess.  (Albeit
I'm not too sure anymore if I count the number of mails that were
distributed through this list during the last weeks.)  I can't / don't
want to afford to always parse through my whole l4-hurd list folder.  But
if I'm participating in discussions, I'd like to be made aware of replies
to the messages I sent.  That's why I receive an extra copy, which will
show up in my inbox.

Oh, and what if you just switch back on that measure that Mailman, the
mailing list software, alread provides (and which you presumably decided
to switch off, as it is enabled by default):

#v+
Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing
list. Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select
No to receive copies.

If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to
receive copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header added
to it.
#v-

Regards,
 Thomas