Re: interdependancies between libraries

From: Wesley W. Terpstra
Subject: Re: interdependancies between libraries
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:24:05 -0700

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 08:23:22AM +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:
> Kevin> Some Debian libtool packages (eg. libgtk1.2) seem to get
> Kevin> away with
>
> Kevin> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> Kevin> but then overriding that for the install
>
> Kevin> make prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr install
>
> > No - that is what causes this problem. Libraries get installed in
> > `pwd`/debian/tmp, not /usr, where the linker (during "make install")
> > can't find them.
>
> The correct way to do this is actually ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp

The way you get the debs to install is irrelevant to the issue. The problem
here is that libtool needs to relink the dependent libraries against their
pre-requistits after they've been installed. But libtool expects them in
their FINAL (/usr) location - this way it gets the search paths right in the
dependent library.

On linux using -L doesn't affect run-time search path, so my patch just uses
that, but I understand that on other archs. it does affect search path (you
don't use --Wl,rpath,/usr/foo/bar). So my hack won't work there.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <address@hidden>
Javien Canada Inc. - Linux Developer