Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: libtool and /usr/local/lib
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:06:43 -0701

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:28:14AM +0100, Geoff wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:58:28 -0700
> Jacob Meuser <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > probably some .la file is requesting /usr/lib/libxml2.la
> > as a dependency, my guess would be libMagick.la.  you can
> > probably get away with editing the problem file(s) to
> > reflect the correct path to libxml2.la.
> >
> > to find the offending .la file(s), do something like the
> > following:
> >
> > $ for i in /usr/lib/lib*.la /usr/local/lib/lib*.la ; do \
> > > grep -l '/usr/lib/libxml2\.la' $i ; done
>
> Thanks for the quick and helpful reply Jacob.  Your little
> script throws up 32 .la files which depend on
> /usr/lib/libxml2.  LibMagick.la is not one of them, but many
> gnome libraries are, and, although I don't run
> gnome, I do have several applications which use the
> libraries.  Gnome was certainly implicated in the failure of
> xine-libs to compile.
>
> I guess it is easier to make the symlinks, or reinstall
> libxml2 in /usr/lib, than to edit all those files.

or just change the above grep command to a sed command.

> > it's best though, when updating/reinstalling a package, to
> > first completely remove all dependent packages, then
> > reinstall them.
>
> That is something I have wondered about before, but I have
> run linux now for 5 years (including Linux from Scratch),
> and I don't recall ever encountering a problem like this
> one.  I suppose I have just been lucky.  Further, my 32
> dependent libraries show that finding and recompiling all
> dependencies in any given case could be a major enterprise.

IMO, such hardcoding of library location should be discouraged.
why does libtool add the full path of the .la file, instead of
ways to get libtool or the linker to find the .la file or at
least the library.

here's a situation to consider ... binary packages that are
built with the libraries in /usr/local/lib, but installed
into /opt/package/lib.  the hardcoded paths bork this type
of installation (same with hardcoded paths in shared libs).

--
<address@hidden>