Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:39:38 -0700

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 14:07 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> No.  If a DSO with matching SONAME is already mapped, ld.so is done.
> If not, it searches for a library with a file name which matches the
> SONAME, unless the SONAME -> file name pair is listed in
> /etc/ld.so.cache.

Sure, but the SONAME still has to be right, so I can't build
libXaw6.so.6.0.1 with SONAME libXaw6.so.6, symlink it to libXaw.so.6 and
expect applications asking for libXaw.so.6 to work.

Which means that with current libtool, I must ask it to build
libXaw.so.6 and then link that to libXaw6.so.6, which I also can't do as
that will trash any libXaw.so when libtool installs the library.

I don't mind getting libtool to build libXaw.so.6, but I can't ask
libtool to *install* a libXaw.la that points at that file.

Thanks for reminding me that the filename is still relevant for
libraries not in ld.so.cache; I'll have to make sure I create the links
at install time. Of course, if we do hack libtool to support alternate
SONAME values, we could also hack it to manage these symlinks for us.

-keith