Re: rpath

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: rpath
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:18:31 +0100

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:05:13PM CET:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote on 12/12/2009 07:20:05:
> >
> > The whole purpose of DESTDIR is being set at install-time and not to be
> > AC_SUBST'ed anywhere.
> >
> > I.e. doing things like outlined above would contradict it's purpose.
>
> It doesn't seem to any other way as far as I can tell.
>
> We build our embedded SW with a different prefix each time to be able
> to separate the different builds alongside each other on the target.
> Each build is performed in a private DESTDIR which will vary depending on
> the actual arch and product.
> Setting DESTDIR via some script for one time builds works fine but
> for repeated build during development where one types make DESTDIR=...
> manually does not work so well.
> Ideally one should be able to set DESTDIR during configure but be able to
> override that by typing make DESTDIR=...

Readoing your reply, I can only guess that you have misunderstood the
purpose of DESTDIR completely and shouldn't be using it at all.
Builds happen in build trees, which you can separate by just running
configure from separate directories.  Build trees have nothing to do
with --prefix nor DESTDIR, which both revolve around install trees.
In case you actually meant separate install trees, then use different
values for --prefix.  DESTDIR is only for things like "I am building a
package intended for /usr, but right now I am not the super-user, so
`make install' will fail unless I temporarily divert the installation
elsewhere so that I can still make a binary pacakge from the
installation".