Re: rpath

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: rpath
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:59:54 +0100

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:26:18PM CET:
> I am building for /opt/appl/xxxx on the target using a build tree
> outside my sources: I want to "install" my apps/libs into a dir
> next to my build tree. Once everything is installed into the
> temporary install tree, I build a package from the files in the install
> tree into some sort of tar ball which I can transfer to the target and unpack
> it using the same tree structure as the install tree I just built.
>
> Currently I build with prefix that is $(build_tree)/opt/appl/xxxx
> but then rpath will include the build_tree and that is not ideal.
> Perhaps there is a simpler way to set rpath?

Specify with configure --prefix the *final* location of the installed
code: where it will be when the end-user runs it.  Divert installation
elsewhere with `make install DESTDIR=...'.  If that doesn't fit your
directory layout, that can be a problem.  Libtool unfortunately doesn't
yet cope with arbitrary install-time diversions a la `make install
prefix=...'.